It is an unpleasant fact
that South Yorkshire does not have a good reputation with
regard to caring for its animals. At Rotherham Dog Rescue, we aim to give all
dogs the life they deserve.
WHAT WE DO
- Our aim is to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome abandoned, abused and unwanted dogs.
- We work closely with the Rotherham dog wardens and take in dogs from the pound.
- We give a dog a kennel space until it is rehomed no matter how long it takes.
- We provide short term foster homes for dogs that have difficulty adapting to
life in kennels.
- We provide long term foster homes for elderly dogs where we assist with
veterinary care to give these oldies a chance to live out their remaining years
in the comfort of a loving home.
- We help educate owners on how best to care for their dogs.
- We find caring and responsible owners for our dogs by conducting thorough home
checks and matching the right dog to the right owner.
- We have experienced volunteers on board to run our kennels and deal with members
of the public.
- We have our own dog psychologist who assesses all our dogs, addresses any
behavioral issues that the dog may have and who also gives free advice to any
prospective owner both before and after adoption.
- We take in work placement students from local colleges
In 2010, we moved to the newly built Brinsworth Boarding Kennels
in Rotherham which gave us the capacity for 20 dogs. We have 12 kennels for
medium and large dogs and 8 kennels for the smaller dogs. Each kennel has it's
own outside area and the inside area has a heat lamp for the colder months. We
also have access to 4 outside compounds in which our dogs have great fun by
taking it in turn to chase each other up and down.
All our dogs are fed on a high quality complete dog
food from a local supplier which is mixed with donated canned food. This promotes good digestion and a
balanced diet which we feel is essential for the well being of our dogs.
There are plenty of varied walking areas around the kennels. The
Trans Penine Trail is just down the road with walks alongside the old Sheffield
airport and the golf course.